- Canola or olive oil
- 2 fresh Italian or chorizo sausage (hot or mild)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry fusilli or other small pasta
- 14 oz can tomato sauce or diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dried oregano or basil
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups fresh spinach, loosely packed, or 1 cup chopped kale
- 2 cups cooked white or red kidney beans, or a 19 oz can, rinsed and drained
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- In a large saucepan set over medium heat, heat a drizzle of oil and sautÃ© the sausage, breaking it up with a spoon, until it is browned.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until soft.
- Add the water, pasta, tomato sauce, stock, oregano, and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the pasta is tender.
- Add the spinach and beans and cook the soup for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- If it seems too thick, thin it with a little extra stock, tomato juice, or water.
- Ladle into bowls and top each serving with grated Parmesan while still hot.